Saturday, September 22, 2012

Good and Some Unusual Food in Beijing

For anyone who follows my blog, you will know that I love posting food during our travels. There were a few "must try" food items I wanted to experience in Beijing with Peking duck being at the top of the list. I have only had Peking Duck once at Mr. Chow's in Los Angeles and I was not "wow'd" by it; however, I thought I should give it another try and what better place than Beijing!

You can spend a lot of time researching the "best" place to get Peking duck. I know because I spent what felt like hours reading reviews as well as asking people we met, in Beijing. After all my do diligence, I decided we would try Dadong Restaurant. Dadong stands out from the rest because they claim they offer leaner roast duck. There are three locations and we chose the one on Jinbao Dasha Street. Every review I read says you must have a reservation but it was a Monday so we gambled and just showed up around 8pm. As luck would have it, they were able to accommodate us within 15 minutes of our arrival. During our wait we got to review the 106-page menu which was extremely overwhelming so I am glad we already knew we wanted the duck. 

The restaurant is beautiful and very modern which I was not expecting. Walking to our table we passed the area where the ducks are cooked in the wood burning hung oven.
Very modern dining room.
Dinner has arrived and I could not believe we actually ordered an entire duck!
One of the chefs carves the duck at your table.
Delicious Peking duck! Since we had a whole duck we got two plates full of meat.
We also ordered the accompaniment for the duck which included thin pancakes along with hoisin sauce, garlic, sugar and thin strips of scallion, cucumber and melon. The server demonstrates the different ways you can eat the duck. First she said to take a piece of the thin, crispy skin and dip it into the sugar. It is a very unusual combination but somehow it works and tastes amazing. The other popular way is to place pieces of duck into the thin pancake, drizzle hoisin sauce on top and add a few scallions. Roll like a egg roll or taco. Delicious!!
Our entire meal including a couple of beers and tip came to $55 US. The most expensive dinner we had in Beijing but we did eat an entire duck and it was worth it!

MR. SHI'S DUMPLINGS
I did some investigating of casual places to eat around our hotel before we arrived. Mr. Shi's Dumplings was given great reviews on TripAdvisor so we went one day for lunch. It is located down a hutong alley on Baochao not too far from Drum Tower.
The menu has a variety of food but we wanted to try the dumplings. They come either boiled or fried so we ordered one of each. The restaurant is very small and there appears to be a strong local clientele. Each order comes with 15 dumplings which we had not expected but we were pretty hungry. The boiled dumplings had pork and the fried dumplings were beef and mushroom. Both were very good and we wanted to come back one more time before leaving but never made it.

Fried dumpling with beef and mushroom.
LUO GU DONG TIAN
Luo Gu Dong Tian Restaurant was located on our favorite hutong alley, Nan Luoguxiang. We ordered one spicy chicken entree and a side of vegetables along with two beers. I could not believe how big the portions where and including tip our bill came to $16 US. Good food at a great price.

GHOST STREET (GUI JIE)
A popular street about a mile long filled with over 200 restaurants on Dongzhimen Nei Street. About an hour before sun down, colorful lanterns illuminate the street. You can get almost anything here from spicy Sichuan, grilled seafood chuan'er to Peking duck. I really enjoyed walking around this area at night. Such a different feel from a lot of the other neighborhoods. 
MATSUKO
If you love sashimi and sushi rolls along with other Japanese/Chinese dishes you will go crazy at this place! Matsuko was recommended to us by a co-worker of Scott's in Mongolia. The restaurant has a few locations but we were told to go to the one on the 3rd Ring fairly close to Sanlitun Bar Street and Yashow market. We went for lunch and for $15 US you can eat an endless amount of sushi rolls, cooked seafood, chicken and beef dishes, soups, desserts, tea and BEER! Yes unlimited beer is included in your meal. I was in heaven when the plate of sashimi arrived to our table.I would only recommend this place if you like sashimi and sushi rolls because the rest of the main dish items were "okay" and I not worth it for the price.
NIGHT MARKET
No trip to Beijing would be complete without venturing to Donghuamen Street to see the  night market. Down one side of the street you will encounter numerous food stalls offering some delicious food items and then some very different types of "food". All the stalls display their food in Mandarin as well as English. 
Some of the food stalls offer more Westernized items you would actually EAT. Chicken, beef, lamb or tofu skewers, crab cakes, stir-fry, dumplings, candy fruit etc. 
Pork Buns
Fried dumplings
We ordered the lobster dumplings.
Other food stalls offered more unconventional items and I often wonder if the Chinese actually eat most of this stuff or it is more novelty for tourist. This is part of the sheep's "particular parts"
Silk worms
Pigeon
Starfish
The guy didn't want me taking a picture so he tried blocking it with a snake on a skewer! I believe the reason was because he said the other to items in the pan were dog and cat. Umm NO THANK YOU!
Scorpions
Well I ended up not trying any of the unconventional food items. I have had a fried grasshopper before so I figured that was good enough for my bug taste testing. Perhaps next time I will get a little more venturous.

In the same area as the night market is a booming area with tons of shopping malls, restaurants and upscale hotels. Such a huge difference from where we are staying in Old Beijing. I felt like I was in a completely different city and was very happy to have chosen our location for the week. 
Post a Comment
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips
Blogging tips